Thursday, January 24, 2013

He's back...again!!

I was told yesterday that there is at least one person out there who reads my blog posts, so in honor of that person (thanks, Marcie!), here goes the latest from my life:

I have restarted the weight-shedding journey that I talked about previously here; and I think I've had a bit more success lately than I did during my first attempt.  As you may or may not remember, I ended the previous post saying that I had begun running.  That attempt was short-lived, unfortunately, because I managed to injure both my knees while running, even on that easy schedule I had set out for myself.  I'm almost certain the injury came because tubby guys shouldn't be running at all (thanks, Mr. "Running for Weight Loss" Book-Writer-Expert).  At least, I shouldn't have been running.  I hurt myself to where my knees ached for a couple of months, which threw my resolve in the toilet (sorry, my will to do the right thing--can't be offensive) and ended my early attempts.  I did manage to lose somewhere around 8 pounds in a couple of weeks just by being slightly more concerned about what I was eating, but I'll consider that effect negligible since there really wasn't much hope behind it once I hurt myself.

So, I went to my business's convention for our sales associates later that year.  During it, I endured all sorts of terrible self-reflection moments as I sat through presentation after presentation about our revamped weight loss program, and finally resolved that I would think about following that program.  (I like to start off slow.)  With the motivation of one of our higher-ranking associates, along with the happy coincidence that my company was holding an internal weight-loss contest for the employees about the same time, I decided it was my chance, and after postponing the first weeks of the diet till after the holidays (hey, I'm not that good) and tanking the first month of the contest, I got started on the 7th of this month (had to wait to get the diet foods/supplements I'd ordered from my place). 

Good news: I'm down 24 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks.  Bad news...I've still got about three times that to go.  And, let's admit it, this diet thing is kinda ROUGH.  The plan I'm on is extremely restrictive eating-wise, which is hard for me, and it feels like the food choices will do me in before long since there's not a ton of variety there.  I also am having trouble knowing that the tremendous amount of weight I've lost so quickly in the beginning will not sustain itself in the coming weeks.  But, I'm trying really hard to take this one milepost at a time.  For example, right now I'm just focusing on the second of our three contest weigh-ins in a few weeks.  Then, I can focus on weigh-in number three.  Then, I can worry about something else.

Yeah, I probably sound like I'm doing a lot of complaining at the moment, and I guess I am.  I've been extremely hesitant to tell many people what I'm doing, which is why you won't see "pounds gone" updates on Facebook.  I hate setting myself up for a potential failure, even though I've done great so far.  Maybe once I'm done, I'll put up a picture or something.  But, I have to get there first.  Thankfully, though, I'm on my way.  I need to take that and be positive about it.  Especially as I eat yet another piece of celery.

Other than that, life's other events seem to be going well...the job is fine, although my commute to our "new" offices in Seattle is wearing on me a bit.  We moved to downtown in July, and now I do a 63-mile commute each way to work (I haven't been counting, honestly I haven't!).  A few months ago I was able to join a vanpool, which helps, but it's still three-plus hours a day in a car.  Gets old quick.  And I'm usually exhausted, especially by the end of the week, so my dear wife and children always have to put up with tired Daddy.  We will be almost certain to move up closer to the Emerald City once the school year is over, but that's still almost six months away, and feels even longer than that when we're stuck in traffic in Tacoma or in between the Joint Base Lewis-McChord exits on I-5.  But, so far so good, although it becomes really, really difficult on days where I have to run a Pack Meeting or Pack Activity for our Cub Scout packs (we have three combined packs meeting together, so it's usually a zoo).  I haven't asked to be released (decommissioned) yet, so maybe there's some benefit to sticking it out.  But sleep is at a premium now.  I slept a lot anyway before the move to Seattle, but now it seems worse than ever.  I go to bed by nine-thirty if I'm lucky, wake up at 5:15 (I remind myself that at that time of day, it's already 8:15 on the East Coast, so someone else is already up), and make it to the vanpool pick-up point by 6:30.  We get to work about 8, leave again at 3:30, and on a good day I'll make it all the way home before 5:30.  Long days.  I know some work longer, though, so I shouldn't complain.  At least I get to go to a job that I adore, where I truly enjoy the people I work with, and get paid well to do what I do.  That usually makes up for it!

The family's good, too...everyone seems to be surviving school (well, mostly...Kyle's teacher held up his paper a couple days ago as an example of how not to turn in an assignment, he cried [he's a very sensitive kid, as many gifted kids are], and got in trouble again for being "immature"--has his gifted class teacher actually worked with gifted kids before????????) and Sarah loves having Mommy to herself ALL DAY LONG (not what Mommy wants, but Sarah is there all the time anyway...typical 3 year-old).  Mommy is holding up OK under the circumstances, but I think she's sick of this Pacific Northwest winter we're having so she can go back to the beach (even though she grew up in these winters most of her childhood!!).

So, life is treating us well, I must say.  Happy to be where I'm at, and still loving the great Northwest.  You know, it's nice to have an outlet like a blog to just be myself.  Of course, there's still some self-editing that needs to occur, and my rule is to NEVER, EVER hurt anybody's feelings in the process (except for that lawyer who said I have no sense of humor--he's exempt), but it's nice to have a chance to blow off steam.  I don't have a lot of steam to blow's just nice knowing only a select few people know about my half-hearted blog and that it's only there if they want to read it.  Soon I'll get back to the amusing-kind of post...I like writing them more than these somewhat-introspective posts anyway, and I'd rather everyone laugh with me (or at me, I don't care) than to have to empathize with me.  It's just the way I am.


At January 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Jaclyn said...

I read it too! :) Good for you with the new program. Even a little something is better than nothing. That commute must be rough. I hope things go well though and that you and your family will continue to enjoy life there.

At January 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM , Blogger steve-o said...

Welcome back. There's more than one person who reads your blog.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Regardless of what lies ahead, you've already made excellent progress. Looking at it that way always helps me out, particularly in those moments where all I want is a hamburger. Happens rarely these days, but it does happen.

Public accountability works for some people, but not for everyone. Have you ever considered some technology to help you out? I like getting feedback and reminders from my selected technology (Jawbone UP, a bracelet which is like an advanced pedometer that connects to my iPhone), and I find that more useful than any props or criticism I'd get from a person. We're all different.

I've been on my own quest since I had my gallbladder removed in early November. That was a bit of a health scare, so I took the doctor's advice pretty seriously coming out of it. This means I've cut out almost all sugar, fried foods and junk food. The only packaged foods I eat are granola bars, whole grain cereals, nuts, dried fruit and the like. I only eat meat a few times a week now. As a result, my cholesterol dropped almost 50% in one month, and I've lost about 35 lbs since then. It's unfortunate it took a scare, surgery and five days in the hospital to convince myself to make some changes, but it's worth it.

I guess the best thing I can say is to not be afraid to challenge everything you know about nutrition and eating. I was raised a carnivore, and meat had always been the center of my diet. My doctor is a vegan and suggested that I look into that as a more healthy approach, so I did a lot of research, watched some documentaries, etc. I always scoffed at the idea before, but I've found the changes I've made in that direction to be quite helpful. Avoiding all those things I listed above has reset my palette, and all the vegan/vegetarian stuff I've had the last few months has been, for the most part, really good. I even tried a vegan restaurant when I was in LA last month and really enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work. It's totally worth it, and you'll see more and more benefits as time goes on--benefits that don't even have to do with dieting, weight loss or health. These things are a lot more about what you gain than what you give up.

At January 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Whiplash77 said...

Thanks, Jaclyn and Steve, for commenting!! I appreciate you both!!

Steve, I know you've been working on your weight a lot longer than I have, and I commend you for is tough, because most of the time, I want that freakin' hamburger, too!! I guess between your gallbladder surgery and my kidney stones, something had to change for both of us. It's hard, though, I concur.

I'll look into some of those technology solutions. So far, I've really just relied on the personal accountability thing, but only because I haven't really known what else to do. I'll try the other stuff!! Thanks, my excellent friend and cousin!


At January 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Pam said...

Make that three readers. :) Glad your injury is on the mend and that you have lost significant weight this second time round. Congrats! Weight loss is never easy. I remember someone once telling me (or maybe I read it?) that it shouldn't be called weight loss. That tells your mind that you want to find that weight again. Lost things are always being looked for. I think you should now refer to your "journey" as "Mission Slimpossible." :)

At January 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Whiplash77 said...

Awesome, Pam...I should refer to it that way from now on!!

At January 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM , Anonymous Lori (Kroznuski) Mack said...

I've always enjoyed your humor :) I recently lost weight myself by buying something I swore I would never buy...a scale. With a memory. A memory that taunted me with horrible numbers each and every morning. The scale unleashed my inner crazies and from then it was on! Did I mention that the scale had a memory? Good Luck!!

At January 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Whiplash77 said...

Yeah, Lori...stupid scales. Mine doesn't have a memory, because I would almost certainly choke it. It does have a glass platform, though, which makes me think if it ever gives me enough sass, that sucker's shattered all over the bathroom floor!

Thanks for the note, Lori...wish we lived closer together! Two minutes at a reunion every 15 years ain't gonna cut it!!! :)


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home